The free flow of genealogical data will enable every individual to:
- Discover their family and heritage, preserve their identity, and publish their life story.
- Reduce duplication of sources, relationships, and identities.
- Identify people in photos, in documents, on gravestones, and in other sources of information.
- Keep track of the progress made in family research.
- Distribute and share genealogical information with others.
The GEDCOM X project is FamilySearch's offering to the community of a set of free and open specifications, libraries, and tools defining how genealogical data can be stored, shared, searched, and secured across all phases of the genealogical research process.
FamilySearch is seeking community input to help shape and develop GEDCOM X. We need community help to:
- Define the requirements.
- Develop the model.
- Collaborate on the specs.
- Builds the tools.
- Promote the adoption.
- Showcase the implementations.
It's all happening. Right here. Right now.