A lot of work has been done recently to define GEDCOM X in terms of an RDF Vocabulary by specifying an RDF Schema document that defines each of the core GEDCOM X namespaces. By providing support for RDF, GEDCOM X gains some notable benefits, including:
- assurance of conformance to industry-accepted standards
- a standard way to reference and describe resources
- compatibility with known standards for describing physical and digital artifacts via Dublin Core
- compatibility with known standards for describing users and organizations via FOAF
- a standard way to embed (genealogical) data into web pages through RDFa
- automatic compliance with powerful tools built to analyze the semantic web
The details of RDF integration are detailed in the RDF Integration document.